Pima Community College
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements
As a federal contractor, PCC may require you to provide proof of vaccination or be approved for a medical/disability or religious exception. For additional information, please see the Covid-19 Response Page
Position Title: HSI STEM Grant - Student Success Navigator
Department: Business and IT Division, East Campus
Rate of Pay: Exempt C41 $51,318
Closed Date: May 16, 2022, 5:00 PM (Arizona Time)
The HSI STEM Student Success Navigator works directly with our learners to help them identify potential and emerging barriers to their academic success and connect our learners to accessible holistic student support and culturally responsive success resources throughout the Information & Technology (IT) and Cybersecurity pathway from career pathway exploration (K-12 and beyond) to degree or certification completion at Pima Community College. We are seeking candidates who are passionate about supporting learners and helping to create a sense of community and belonging among our learners as they enroll, persist and complete Computer Information Systems (CIS) programs of study at Pima Community College with integrated, holistic, culturally competent resources that support Hispanic, Low Income, First Generation, and Female-identifying learners.
This position is responsible for providing high level support connecting learners with a variety of learner service areas throughout Pima Community College such as: outreach, admissions advising, assessment and testing, career services, and additional services that support social and emotional needs as it relates to the Title III HSI-STEM - IT Knowledge and Context Grant at the East Campus of Pima Community College. The purpose of the HSI-STEM - IT Knowledge and Context Grant is to increase the number of Hispanic and low-income students attaining degrees in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM); and to develop model transfer and articulation agreements between two-year HSIs and four-year institutions in such fields. The focus of this grant program is to attract more learners and support them to persist and compete in the high demand field of IT/Cybersecurity. This grant program also improves the capacity of our IT meta-major to meet the high demand of employers in our region for IT and cybersecurity professionals. The grant provides for innovations in technology, teaching strategies and student outreach. The Student Success Navigator works closely with Pima Community College student support personnel, Grant Program Manager, Academic Director and campus administration to meet the goals and objectives of the grant, and to meet the needs of faculty and students in the target areas and populations.
Continued employment in the position is contingent upon continued funding through designated external sources. This grant is set to expire on 09/30/2026.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides high level support to the Grant Program Manager by providing holistic and culturally competent student support by connecting learners to a variety of student service areas such as outreach, academic advising, assessment and testing, career services, financial aid advisors and connecting learners to additional services that support social and emotional needs.
- Responds to requests for information in an assigned program area from faculty, staff, students, businesses, agencies, local schools, and the community.
- Provides support for students on college processes and resources.
- Assists with bilingual (Spanish & English) outreach and engagement with students in Information Technology/Cybersecurity programs of study in collaboration with HSI STEM Outreach Coordinator to help intentionally foster a community of inclusion and belonging.
- Serves as an ambassador for the Pima Community College's East Campus Center of Excellence in Information Technology/Cybersecurity in interaction with current and potential learners.
- Implements educational and career pathway models by providing customized and inclusive pathways navigation services that support students to persist with their education and career goals.
- Supports student curiosity and engagement by using culturally competent motivational interviewing techniques and coaching to better support students to realize their personal, educational, and professional goals.
- Assists with promoting internship opportunities in collaboration with HSI STEM Outreach Coordinator.
- Provides technical information and interpretation of College policies, practices and procedures; best practices and trends in student development theory; and Federal and state laws and regulations to students, staff, faculty, administration and the general public ensuring compliance.
- Analyzes confidential student information; identifying issues and discrepancies; formulating recommendations for appropriate action based on findings.
- Collaborates with Pima Community College faculty and staff in a variety of support service areas to promote college-wide student support resources and programs for Hispanic, Low-Income, First Generation, and Female-identifying learners.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in related field, and
- One year of program experience in student advising and/or success coaching or similar experience, and
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills
- An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
- Bachelor's degree in counseling, education or a related field, and
- At least three years of experience in post-secondary education, and
- Bi-lingual Fluency (writing and speaking) in English and Spanish
The ideal candidate will have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Experience in customer service, college & career navigation, and/or success coaching
- Demonstrated cultural competency and understands working with Hispanic communities, including limited-English proficiency speakers.
- Passion for igniting curiosity and helping to guide learners through an inquiry-based student experience and supportive environment to promote persistence of student education and career goals.
- Experience working with and supporting Hispanic and First Generation College students in STEM (Science-Education-Engineering-Math) related fields of study.
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment, excellent time management skills and the ability to multitask.
- Using computers and software application programs (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Suite).
- Record keeping principles and experience preparing a variety of reports by compiling and analyzing data.
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, and the general public.
- Experience in Information Technology and/or Cybersecurity in an education or industry setting.
- Positions in this class typically require: walking, pushing, lifting, keyboarding, talking, hearing, and seeing.
- Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Incumbents may be subjected to travel to other campuses and locations.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency